5/20/13

The Book Club Life












One of the coolest surprises of having young children is that you get to meet people you would never otherwise encounter. Kids from a million walks of life end up in the same classes; they become friends; their parents become friends (or at least friendly), and all of the sudden--if you are like me--you are meeting animators, physical therapists, physicists, farmers: people so far out of your own professional imagination that you just have to catch your breath and say, "Wow! What's that life like?"

When your kids get older and their social lives become less dependent on you, it doesn't happen as much, and so your social circle becomes, once again, a bit more confined by profession, the past, or some shared interest, like maybe church or yoga class. It's fine. In fact, it's lovely, but I do miss meeting people who chose such different paths than my own.

If you know what I mean, and if you miss it too, then take my advice: write a book. Last week I visited two book clubs who recently read The Goddess Lounge, and the people were so amazing.

Here's the first book club: 

They've been meeting for twenty-five years! In fact, this was their 25th reunion meeting and so even people who had left the book club came back to catch up with old friends. One member came all the way from North Carolina. With a few exceptions, they are all bankers or former bankers. In fact, someone could probably write a book about them because they were really among the first wave of women professionals to make a career of banking, and boy are they smart and sassy.  They were fabulous.



Here's the second book club:
This group started twenty-six years ago, although a lot of the members are newer.  They were more diverse, but several of them were running their own businesses, and, they were really smart and sassy too! The hostess was adorable and even served kir royales, which are featured in the novel, and Penne Norma since the main character is named Penne.  
I could not imagine being a banker or owning my own business. My skill set is just so very different, and yet I loved all of these gals, and I loved learning about what they did and what they wanted to do. I felt so privileged to be invited into their world for a night and to learn just a little about what their lives are like. 

So, go! Write your book! I don't have a book club, but I'll invite you over just the same.


14 comments:

Margaret said...

Why the funky formatting? No idea. I'm just going with it.

Desiree said...

It's wonderful, wonderful!

Cathy Perlmutter said...

That is just lovely.

Adele said...

Cool side-effect!

Susan Campisi said...

That is wonderful, Margaret. What a high! OK, that's it: I'm going to write a book.

Star said...

So great to hear about and feel your sense of wonder. I have a similar experience with my adult English classes.

Olga said...

There is always something powerful about a group of women with a common interest and your book does tap right into that.

Tony Van Helsing said...

Do people argue over plot points at book clubs?

Cafe Pasadena said...

I AM gonna take your advice to write a book. 2 in fact. That's the plan. I woodn't have said that only 2 weeks ago!

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

Oh how awesome! How lovely to get to make new friends and have your book as the topic of their discussions. Great post, Margaret. :o)

Pasadena Adjacent said...

love this photo of you. Adorable! have you lost weight? *wink

Petrea Burchard said...

I agree with you about the great people and the fun. I wish I'd thought to write a fancy cocktail into my book (grapefruit margaritas come to mind), but all I've got is scotch and water.

Alison said...

How lovely to be meeting all these people who have read your book!
Alison xx

Cafe Pasadena said...

I initially read your opening sentence as, "One of the cruelest surprises of having young children..."

Maybe one day there will be a Margaret Finnegan Book Club.