6/30/13

Cassandra tells it like it is

Just back from vacation: a week at the beach and, before that, four days at my beloved Scripps Camp, the summer camp run for and by the alumnae of Scripps College. Every year there is a writing contest, and this year the prompt was to rework or invent a myth in no more than 250 words. Here is my entry.

The Myth of Cassandra

After spurring Apollo, the beautiful Cassandra is cursed with the ability to see the future but never find anyone who will believe her.

Cassandra: I'm telling you right now, you need a bra with that, and if you wear those short shorts you will be basically saying to people, "Please stare at my ass."

I'm just saying, "No one THINKS they're going to end up pregnant."

That history test is not going to study for itself.

$1000! You'll use that elliptical three months and then it will just sit there and take up space.

I would not trust that girl if I were you.

That boy will break your heart.

Listen to me, in ten years you won't even remember his name.

No, no, no. Your future is golden.

You have always been, and will always be, beautiful...

If you would just push the hair out of your eyes.

Just wait until you have children of your own.



PS: We also had one night where we got to dress up like goddesses, so, of course, I wore my Medusa costume. I'm just saying, I MADE that dress. I actually made it a few years ago for a Halloween Party. The sewing was so stressful that I won't be able to sew anything for another ten years.  My friend Marriott took the photo. She is awesome.

17 comments:

Country Girl said...

Awesome costume and...interesting composition! Ha Ha!

Petrea Burchard said...

Yes, the photo is awesome! The costume is awesome, too, and so is your retelling of the myth. I know you're being modest by not mentioning that you won.

Addey said...

Love the story! So funny and true. And that costume really is awesome. :-) Glad you had some good times.

Margaret said...

Petrea: We don't really have winners. It's just all fun.

rlesprit said...

Loved this! Thanks for posting. Many years ago, a Jungian astrologer told me I was much like Cassandra-I could see beyond most people's perceptions, but they would not be able to grasp or understand my advice if I laid it on too thick. She advised that I simply lay what I saw like an item on a table. Then, if someone walked by they might notice and pick it up when ready. I had this reading when I was about 27 and it's been invaluable to me. Helps me practice detachment.

Ms M said...

Excellent costume and post! I suppose all moms are Cassandras -- at least while their progeny lives under the same roof....

Star said...

Love happiness bubbling out of this post, love your retelling of the wise words of Cassandra, love the costume! Thanks, as always.

Olga said...

That is a great costume. The camp sounds like great fun. Funny how I can look back now and see that my mother really could see the future...if only I had believed her then.

Daisy said...

:-) Love the picture and the story. Could be called: "Things My Mother Told Me". Of course, I didn't listen to her!

Desiree said...

OMG--I was dying laughing. You are welcome to tell us all about your multiple tome trangressive past life regressive memoir any day. I will return to read this every time I need to laugh.

altadenahiker said...

Aside from your most excellent advice, you're a vision -- green becomes you.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

I'd give you an award for the best costume - and I'd wear the "green" giving it you; for envy. I love Claremont

Susan Campisi said...

That costume is fabulous! You are a woman of many talents.

Margaret said...

Rr

Margaret said...

Rr

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

Haha - I wondered if that was YOU in the costume. Love your take on Cassandra...sounds like all typical things a mom would say. ;o)

Anonymous said...

So fun to hear about life back at Scripps! I haven't attended any of the alumnae weekends, but I'm involved in the New York chapter of the Scripps book club and love the way it connects me to the college.