7/11/13

A Surprising Secret Boyfriend Development

I broke the painful news of my new secret boyfriend to my husband yesterday at breakfast. I would have spared him the heartbreak, but there was an article in the paper that forced my hand.

"Who is it this time?" He asked. He was taking it surprisingly well, but then the husband is a man not easily threatened, especially by men I will never meet, do not want to meet, and if who, in fact,  met me would no doubt be appropriately unimpressed.

"Chris O'dowd," I answered. (Zemanta no longer works for me for some reason, but there is a link to a picture here).

"Oh! The others I get, but I don't see that guy at all."

True. Compared to my secret boyfriends Colin Firth and Ewan McGregor, Chris O'dowd may seem sort of rumpled and geeky (at least in the British show The IT Crowd, which is what we know him from best), but I like rumpled and geeky! Plus, there's that Irish accent, which makes me nostalgic for the idea of the old country, which, of course, is as unknown to me as my secret boyfriends. Also, I saw Bridesmaids, and the husband did not see Bridesmaids, and he looks much better in that!

"He has a new show," I said. "It's in the paper. It's called Moone Boy. It's on Hulu Plus. Only Hulu Plus! I sort of think we need to get Hulu Plus."

But later, when my giddy secret boyfriend rapture had passed and I had once again become the woman who over thinks and problematizes everything, I began to doubt the Hulu Plus plan. Hulu Plus! That's a slippery slope! I already have a bit of a Netflix problem, which is how I ended up with my new secret boyfriend in the first place!  If I get Hulu Plus, I'll be like a junkie. And I have one daughter who is even worse than me! It would be like me giving her a crack pipe.

So, I'm feeling like: How can I honor my secret boyfriend and still be a good mother and productive member of society? Ah! The first world problems I face! They are staggering!

(PS: I'm really leaning toward getting Hulu Plus.)


9 comments:

Daisy said...

What does Scout think of this? Does he approve of this new SB?

Olga said...

Your husband is a tolerant fellow--putting up with the secret boyfriends and all. I signed up for Hulu plus last summer, but not this summer. I did like it though.

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

Man, you know how to live, Margaret. We have Netflix and I hardly ever watch it! If I tell Doug about your secret boyfriends coming from Netflix he may be suspicious if I start watching all of a sudden. Thanks for an entertaining post this afternoon, I needed that! ;o)

altadenahiker said...

I heart the IT crowd, but most especially the other guy. I'll bet he's a dish in real life.

Margaret said...

AH: I know. I'm sure he cleans up well. He directed this great little movie called Submarine. It's worth watching.

Ms M said...

Tempting, tempting -- oh, what to do....

Petrea Burchard said...

As with any addiction, I recommend quitting cold turkey. But if you do that, you can't go back, not at all, not even a web series, or you'll be hooked again.

Susan Campisi said...

Did you see he's wearing red stilettos in that clip? I vote for Hulu Plus.

TheChieftess said...

Clueless...I am clueless...I had to google Chris O'Dowd...and yes...in Bridesmaids he was worthy of SB status...can't say that about the other cuts though...I think I'm agreeing with the husband!!!