8/5/13

Goddess of the Week: Brigid

Wonderful Cyndel injured herself and needs a goddess of healing. I'm giving her the Celtic goddess Brigid.

We only know bits and pieces about the Celtic goddesses because so many of their stories have been lost, but we do know that Brigid was a three-faced goddess of poetry, smithery, and healing. So that seems to cover all your bases, Cyndel!

Here's what else we know about Brigid: Her mother gave birth to her while standing on the threshold of two worlds, although, frankly, I'm not exactly sure which two worlds they were. But never mind that. What you really need to know is that she was born in a borderland, and so she travels the space of metaphorical borderlands. She helps poets be in that creative place between the concrete and the metaphorical. She helps smiths be in that place between solid and liquid, and she helps healers be in that place between faith and wisdom as well as skill and compassion.

Faith and wisdom. Skill and compassion. We need all of these things if we are healers and if we are healing, and that is what Brigid reminds us. To heal and to be healed, we must be willing to travel to the borderlands in our selves. We must access our intellect and our heart.

Channel this goddess: When you have a big boo boo; when you need healing; when bending metal; when writing poetry. When doing all three things at the same time--which I would like to see you post on You Tube, by the way.

Need a goddess? I've got goddesses! Post a comment saying what you need or want a goddess for. Then check back in a week or two and see what you got! It's fun! It's free! It's like a great big hug of a vitamin.

8 comments:

Pasadena Adjacent said...

Sorry about your injury Cyndel (what a great name)

I like the description of this goddess. I'm a borderland type myself (Pasadenadjacent) straddling three communities and artforms. Not fully a member of any community or a master of any form.

Ms M said...

Sounds like she's powerful, a liminal goddess. And exactly who I need right now.

I hope you heal quickly, Cyndel!

Daisy said...

May you find all you need to heal well Cyndel.

Petrea Burchard said...

I'm orking on my Youtube video.

Petrea Burchard said...

Yes, I said "orking" and I meant it.

altadenahiker said...

Smithery -- you mean she could do stuff? Handy stuff? Smither a leaking faucet or smither a clogged drain, or smither the wood rot on a windowsill? If so, I worship her, I'll pray to her this very night. Oh, I should have married one of those engineers, I really should have. Though likely this course of action would have turned the poor man to drugs and drink. Because what all the engineers wanted to do, really do, was write a sonnet or play the guitar. And that spoiled everything. I should take this to my own blog, methinks. But me doesn't want to.

Rois said...

My good friend Heidi is a lady blacksmith with a bad back going on right now.I am sending her to this post.

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

I've always wanted to try my hand at smithery. ;o) Great goddess and all the best to Cyndel!