8/20/13

My Exciting LIfe: I Travel Without My Children!

Psych! In your face! I spent the weekend with two of my oldest and dearest friends. We went up to Portland, Oregon where I went to four chocolate stores:


I bought two hats:


and payed homage to the mecca of all bookstores, Powell's:

I did a lot more, but I don't want to rub it in too much. You can't all be me, after all.

I went with my friends Katherine and Cynthia. Here we are when we were adorable twenty year olds. I'm on the left. Only now do I realize what I cutie-pie I was. What is wrong with young women that they can't see how beautiful they are?

And here we are now. I will let you know in thirty years how cute I think I was.
I will say this. In our own ways, each of us has walked through the fire. Time will do that to you. We started out tin and brass. Now we are bronze. We are brighter and stronger. I have a feeling we will need to be.

15 comments:

Desiree said...

Heh heh heh, what a wonderful get away and wonderful post.

Carrie Rosalind said...

Love it! What a fun girls trip. Portland is definitely high on my Places to Travel list. :)

Susan Campisi said...

I love the hat in the top photo! You look stylish and beautiful in it. Hopefully you don't have to wait 30 years to realize that.

Bec said...

Fun! Chocolate and Powells? My sister just moved to Portland and I'm excited to visit. But, I doubt it will be without my kids.

Ms M said...

Sounds like a fun trip! Portland is a great place to go -- especially Powell's.
And what rich friendships you have. Wonderful they have continued over the years. So special, like good chocolate.

Petrea Burchard said...

Portland, Powell's and Pumpelly! A winning combination.

Iron. Steel. Stone. Plenty more to become.

Katie said...

What a fabulous trip! Nothing beats getting together in person with old friends to really catch up. Fun to be in Portland too, what with all that chocolate.

Cathy Perlmutter said...

You are still a cutie pie, and always will be!

Daisy said...

FOUR! Chocolate stores! Be still my heart! Love the hat too!

You and your friends were real cuties when young, but ... the mature you (plural) has something beautiful added, with more coming along the way.

TheChieftess said...

Great fun!!! Love Powell's!!! Did you go on the underground ghost tour??? Very sinister!!!

Alison said...

Looks like a fab trip...and all three of you look pretty cute to me!!
Alison xx

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

Oh yes, I am very familiar with the self-doubt of youth. I'm always surprised when I see photos of myself in my 20's when I thought I was overweight. Not.

Glad you had a fun time with your girls, and that had looks adorable on you! :o)

altadenahiker said...

If I were you, I'd consider using photo #2 for my profile. You look so confident and, well, satisfied. Almost, but not quite, to the point of arrogance.

Rois said...

You came to my town! So glad you made it to Powell's a place I have been hanging out in since I was about 5.Did you get to try any of our local ice cream shops? Ruby Jewels or Salt and Straw?

I loved the photo of the three of you as young ones.

Jean Spitzer said...

I wonder if we were in Portland at he same time.

My husband and I met up with some old--knew him in high school--friends, who drove own from Seattle.

I love Portland and Powells, and chocolate, though that didn't happen his trip. We did go to breakfast in th Alberta district.