8/9/13

Whatcha reading?

Who me?

This summer I started with Strawberry Yellow by Naomi Hirahara, a novel about Japanese-American gardener and sometimes detective Mas Arai. I've had a soft spot for Mas Arai since he helped me through a visit to Buenos Aires with two flu-ridden kids years ago, and this latest chapter to his saga was lots of fun. Here's all you need to know: Some farmers will kill for the perfect strawberry.

I moved on to Creating Significant Learning Experiences by L. Dee Fink. I won't keep you in suspense! Apparently college professors need to lecture less and make students care more!

Next up Christina Schwarz's The Edge of the Earth. I couldn't put this book down down. Here's the set up: In 1898, a woman  leaves her comfortable life in Wisconsin to live at an isolated lighthouse in northern California. What could go wrong, right?

And now I have just finished Good Omen's by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. This is an old book and a cult classic. I've read practically everything Neil Gaiman has written, but someone how I'd missed this until my younger daughter shoved it in my hands and said, "Read." Can an angel, a demon and assorted others avert the apocalypse? (Hint: Probably, but you'll laugh out loud as you figure discover how.)

And you? What are you reading these days?

PS: I have another recommendation here.

PSS: Somewhere in there I also read the first issue of the comic book The Sandman by Neil Gaiman (They were giving it away on iTunes!) and The Laramie Project, a play about Laramie Wyoming's response to the brutal killing of Matthew Shephard. They are both worth reading too.)

11 comments:

Pasadena Adjacent said...

Camelot and Vine - Petrea Bruchard
Oryx and Krate - Margaret Atwood

about a 100 pages into Atwood's trilogy "Year of the Flood"

Shell Sherree said...

I'm reading The Fortune Cookie Principle by Bernadette Jiwa ~ how to tell the story of your brand. She's fabulous! One book at a time is all I'm managing nowadays. Seems I can't book-multitask and enjoy it!

Star said...

physically present books: Marcus Aurelius "Meditations" (a little every day); "The Red Sari" about Sonia Gandhi (a thoughtful gift, but rather a dull book that I'm plodding through snippet by snippet). Kindle books: The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon (now up to the fall of Belisarius); recently moved to the "Read" folder: Boethius, "The Consolation of Philosophy" (interesting, in narrative form, but Marcus Aurelius is better); Herodatus, "An Account of Egypt"; "The Religion of the Samurai: A Study of Zen Philosophy" (a bit list-y for more than the first half, but helpful insights about Zen in the last bit); "Buddha in Blue Jeans" (an interesting and do-able guide to meditation...I'm thinking about it... :-) )

Olga said...

I loved Good Omen. My reading habit has suffered this summer, but what I have done is straight off the best seller list. That is what is front and center at the libray, so I grab and go.

TheChieftess said...

Interesting reading list Margaret!!!

I just finished a book that surely would have been on Oprah's book list...which if it had been I Probably would not have picked it up because those books so often were just downright depressing!!! The book is A Reliable Wife by Robert Doolrick...set in the early 1900's it's about a man who advertises for a "simple honest woman". Of course, who showed up was anything but simple or honest...the story unfolds with twists and turns, and lot's of sexual fantasy and implications woven into the intricate story...a very interesting perspective into relationships and people's psyche...I almost put it down several times...but I became quite curious about how it would turn out and if my summations would come to pass...interesting...but quite depressing read!!!

Addey said...

I've spent a lot of time re-reading some favorites, such as To Kill a Mockingbird this summer. Plus two from Neil Gaiman, Neverwhere and uhm... the parallel universe one.... And lots and lots and lots of kids books to the boy-o, mostly the "Froggy" series by Jonathan London.

Petrea Burchard said...

I'd better pick up some Gaiman. I don't know of a single person who doesn't think he's great.

PA, thank you. Now I can say I've been mentioned in the same sentence with Margaret Atwood, whom I admire.

I just finished "Olive Kitteridge" by Elizabeth Strout, which I hated last year when I first tried reading it but loved this year. I'm currently reading "Swamplandia" by Karen Russell, and so far so good.

Also read "The Color of Water," by James McBride, a fine memoir.

I enjoyed "Strawberry Yellow," too. And for another good mystery, this one more serious and with a lot more action, I really liked "Black Water Rising" by Attica Locke.

I want to read everything Star mentioned.

God, I love reading. I can't get enough. What a great topic, Margaret.

Bec said...

The Night Circus by Erin Mortensen, The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh and Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks. Really enjoyed all 3 even though they were very different.

altadenahiker said...

I ordered The Storied South yesterday.

Ms M said...

Great reading list! And excellent suggestions by everyone.

I've been reading some suspense novels by Preston and Child; Clea Simon mysteries; Dante's Inferno; Shakespeare's Richard the III; a Sookie Stackhouse fantasy; Alice in Wonderland. And, of course, The Goddess Lounge and Camelot and Vine.

Marian Sunabe said...

I read Strawberry Yellow too! I'd recommend Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver. Also enjoying some of the young adult novels my 13 year old is reading, such as The Fault in Our Stars and An Abundance of Katherines by John Green.