9/24/13

Goddess of the Week: Durga

Diane needs a goddess to help her deal with procrastination. Boy, do I get it. I am writing this blog right now so I don't have to think about the two classes I have to start teaching on Thursday. Diane, You need the Hindu goddess Durga.

Once, the gods were having this fierce battle with this demon named Durga. (I know! We have two Durgas to contend with; you're going to have to bear with me.) The Gods called on the goddess Devi. They said, "Oh, Devi! You are an amazing warrior and you have eight hands, which totally helps in battling demons. Won't you fight Durga and save all of us?"

Devi jumped on her tiger, and she was all, "I'm on it."

She rode out to Durga, who was really ugly and scary-looking, and she said. "Leave now, and I won't kill you with my eight mighty hands that are totally packing dangerous swords and stuff."

Durga said, "HA! I laugh at your swords. I eat swords for breakfast."

So they embarked on an epic battle, but every time Devi would--literally--get the upper hand, Durga would evolve into some new terrifying beast, and Devi would have to change her whole fighting strategy. This went on for days, months, years. But finally, Durga changed into a Buffalo and Devi chopped his head right off.

In remembrance of how long and hard she fought, Devi changed her own name to Durga.

Durga (the goddess) reminds us that procrastination is a tricky demon that tries and keep us from the task at hand, and just when you think you've vanquished it, it changes shape and begins to look like something very different, but it's still procrastination, and procrastination is still giving you the evil eye and keeping you from doing what you know you need to do. The only way to fight against this demon is to keep it squarely in your sight and cut its head right off. How do you do that? Well, that's the tricky part because we each have different arsenals, and my arsenal is not yours, Diane. I can tell you what works for me: A daily planner, a willingness to live in a very messy house, children who are at school, work I like (so there's usually no need to avoid it), and a very rigid insistence on getting a good night's sleep. If you are tired, it's hard to want to do anything.

Channel this goddess: When the old demon procrastination gets you down, when you're having a hard time staying focused on task, when two hands aren't enough.

Need a goddess? I've got goddesses! Post a comment saying what you need or want a goddess for, and then check back in a week or two and see what you got. It's fun! It's free! It's a great way to avoid doing what you really should be doing. 

11 comments:

Desiree said...

Wow, what a memorable metaphor!

Jean Spitzer said...

Sometimes, just telling myself that all I have to do is start a task is enough to get me to see it through to completion.

Olga said...

I will never think of procrastination in the same way again.

Petrea Burchard said...

If you have many tasks in your day and you tackle the most dreaded one first, everything else is easy. I do my phone calls first.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

I take ritalin

altadenahiker said...

I always intended to keep a daily planner but just never got around to it.

dcr said...

thanks VERY much! i hope Durga and i become very close.

diane

Margaret said...

I hope she works for you, Diane! Let us know!

Cafe Pasadena said...

There outta be a song called, "PROcrastination!"

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

Awesome. Loved your take on this Goddess, Margaret. I hope Carrie reads it - I'm always on her to get a better night's sleep! ;o)

Ms M said...

That's a great story. Now I have an image of Durga with many busy arms in my head for inspiration.