9/10/13

What are you eating?

Hey there:

You don't mind if I watch you eat, do you? I didn't think so. I'll just sit right next to you. Close.

Is that brie? You are so fascinating when you eat brie. The way you spread it on a cracker and the lift it up to your mouth, biting into it with just enough force, not too much--that's the trick. Too much and the cracker might explode into shards. What a mess that would be. Amazing. I could watch this all day.

You know, if you did want to try that thing where you bite too hard, just to see what that is like, that would be OK.

Now look. Unbelievable. That thin slice of salami! That way you hold it with two fingers and then tear into it, breaking the pink and white-flecked circle, turning into a half moon of heaven. Did you go to school for that? I wonder.

And don't get me started on the whole fork thing. That takes real technique.

Oops! CRACKER DOWN! CRACKER DOWN! I'll just get that real quick.

I'm back. In-ter-esting.

Oh. Just a mushroom.

But now--are you kidding me--cracker, cheese, salami, cracker. It's like a tiny sandwich. I smell Nobel Prize.

16 comments:

Katherine Kean said...

Ha, yes, exactly!

Daisy said...

Sounds and looks familiar! GO! Scout!

Petrea Burchard said...

This sounds tasty. Maybe I will come sit at your feet and hope you drop something for me.

Ms M said...

Scout's very good at this. Perhaps she could do a "bite by bite" hors d'oeuvres report of a reception. On Twitter....

estetik drew said...

The blog was absolutely fantastic! Lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need!
Estetik

TheChieftess said...

Ohhh Scout...I could teach you a thing or two...
patience is a virtue...if you wait for just the right moment...maybe when the conversation gets a bit animated...just stick your nose on the plate and grab that whole salami!!! It's worked for me...twice!!!
Woof woof and good luck!...
Kelly

Pasadena Adjacent said...

why I should never own a dog - one for you one for me one for you one for me

Olga said...

Perfect. Isn't it amazing just how clearly a dog communicates?

Jean Spitzer said...

I identify-- with you and Scout. Yum.

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

Haha - classic, Margaret. I love this post.

Lucky sits on the kitchen floor beside me in the mornings when I chop food for the turtles. I usually give him a nibble of whatever they're getting, and it's hilarious to see his face when he eats a little piece of shrimp, hard boiled egg, or piece of lettuce. He's not too picky, as you can imagine. ;o)

Kim Ohanneson said...

This is laugh-out-loud hilarious, Margaret! I love Scout's voice.

Petrea Burchard said...

Chieftess, you remind me of a cat my college roommate had. His name was Lou and he was brazen. One night, when we were watching TV and eating pancakes, he waited for just the right moment and stole her entire dinner.

altadenahiker said...

For a carrot, Albert will quote any passage from Henry IV. He'll move you to tears with his, "So shaken as we are, so wan with care."

TheChieftess said...

That's a brazen cat Petrea!!!

Give that Albert a carrot Hiker!!!

Desiree said...

heh heh heh

Bellis said...

I didn't realize you had the ability to read dog's minds! How do you keep Scout's weight down when he's so effective at beaming his thoughts to you?