10/28/13

Ghost Story

When we first got my dog Scout, she had terrible separation anxiety. She would bark from the time we left until the time we got back. We had only had her about six weeks when the Fourth of July rolled around and we were invited to a neighbor's house for dinner. Before we left, we put on the radio so that it might block some of the firework sounds that scared her.

A few hours later we were walking back home. From the end of the block we heard LOUD, LOUD music. We just assumed someone was having a party. We got closer and closer to our house, and we suddenly realized the music was coming from inside our house! We ran inside to find poor little Scout cowering in her crate. Of course, we turned the music right off, but we never did figure out what happened.

Actually, that was not the first (or last) time something like that had happened. It's happened a handful of times. The radio will be on and the music will suddenly get really, really deafening loud. I would think there was something wrong with the radio, except...

There is also the problem of my iPod. I used to always put my iPod in a docking station, sometimes I'd move it to the living room and sometimes to the kitchen. Wherever I left it, it would just turn on, out of the blue. Sometimes it would do it while I was in the other room, working on the computer. Sometimes it would do it in the dead of night. Eventually, I learned to never leave my iPod in the docking station. I hardly ever use my iPod now. If I want to listen to music, I'll use my iPhone. But I never leave it in the docking station.

They say my house is built on an old military school.
They say the first owner of the house lived here for fifty years. She was an artist and an alcoholic. Her husband helped finance Walt Disney.

Someone likes music. That's all I know. And they either really dislike barking or they really worry about dogs afraid of fireworks

Or maybe there's just something wrong with my appliances.

12 comments:

Kim Ohanneson said...

Margaret, please report if any instruments start playing spontaneously....

Petrea Burchard said...

There are probably fewer occurrences of psychic phenomena than are reported. That doesn't mean they never happen, just that they're rare. So I'm going with the faulty appliances theory.

Ms M said...

Haunted appliances...hopefully your microwave or toaster doesn't suddenly turn on.

Olga said...

Bwa-ha-ha. Spooky. How close do you live to a fault line?

Daisy said...

It's that creepy critter on the chair! Good thing you caught her.
Poor Scott! A friend of mine had a dog with separation anxiety and it was difficult for everyone.

Bellis said...

You must have some weird electromagnetic forces whirling around your house, Higgs bosons and such.

The other day my laptop spontaneously started playing the discussions of a women's club meeting I'd attended half a year ago. I cringed at hearing myself saying some really stupid things. Why did my laptop want to do this to me? Because I took it to the Genius Bar the last time it misbehaved?

(I'd recorded the meeting on my iPhone to help the girl taking the minutes, so the laptop and iPhone must have been in this plot together).

Bec said...

If only my vacuum cleaner would start working spontaneously . . .

TheChieftess said...

It's a Ghost party!!!

Jean Spitzer said...

So spooky. Perfect . . . .and music loving.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

Oh I like the Disney/Cocktail connection. You do realize that back in the 20's Walt Disney Studios was on Hyperion Ave.

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

Whoa. That's spooky.

Many years ago I stayed in a hotel in Prescott, Arizona - our state's original capitol city. I was there with a "friend" (before Doug!) and we had a few instances where we had encounters with the hotel ghost. The one that really got us and sent us scampering out of the hotel was the radio in the room crackling and coming on right after we closed the book we'd been reading about the hotel's ghost. Yikes! I guess they like music. :o)

altadenahiker said...

You can come to my slumber party.