1/28/14

Goodbye January: You were awful and will not be missed

January 2014

Happy New Year!

Dog: Eight teeth removed. ($$$$$)
Fourteen year old Car: Something I don't even remember ($$$$$)
Eighteen year old daughter: Hospitalized for severe medication side effects ($$$ + $$$$$$$ for new meds, meals in cafeteria, driving all over the place, etc + as many sad faces as you can imagine.)
Sixteen year old: age appropriate (yet exhausting) selfishness and surliness ($$$$). Where does the money go? It's spent on everything that we stupidly believe might convince her that just because she does not have disabilities or hospital stays, she is still loved.
New credit cards due to identity theft. (Imagine a whole bunch of little clock faces here and annoyed emoticons, although no actual $$).
Fourteen year old car being dropped off today for scary burning smell. (How many dollar signs? More than there should be, I'm sure.)

I challenge you: Top that!




14 comments:

Country Girl said...

Well I surely can't top that list, but we have had our own variety of challenges mostly involving our 2 twenty something year olds still in the house. At least one is still in the house!!- Hope Feb. is better for you!

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

Oh my gosh, Margaret. I thought I was having a crappy January but this makes mine look like a walk in the park. Wish I could send you $$$$ but I'm sending you virtual hugs instead. Hang in there, sister! xo

Olga said...

This is a contest I decline to enter.

Petrea Burchard said...

Yeah, I don't mind losing this time, even though I am competitive.

Ms M said...

Oh no! I hope February is better for all of you! Treats are in order -- good chocolate, wine. You deserve it.

TheChieftess said...

Ouch!!! Can't top that...

Rois said...


I already went through a month like yours a few years ago so too pass on trying to one up you because I think I am still having nightmares about that era in my life.

Remember you have a button that holds things together. ;)

Jean Spitzer said...

You win. Hope things improve, as the year progresses.

Bec said...

So, so sorry. Praying for health for your car, dog, daughter, and relationships. I can't compete in the month category but my week has consisted of 3 dental appointments (6 year old with an abcessed tooth), an eye infection (me) and lots of disgruntled students at office hours so I'm with you - bring it on, February!!

Pasadena Adjacent said...

...and you didn't mention the lack of rain.

I'll rub some stones for you. After all, I am a shaman in training

Kim Ohanneson said...

oh, Margaret, I am so sorry. I've had some godawful patches like that in the past and the only "win" was getting through them. Sending you all love.

Desiree said...

Welcome February--which will be filled with friends and chocolate. Perhaps can't make up for $$$, but priceless in its own way

Desiree said...

(At least, that's what the tarot card reading I did for you says-)

Susan Campisi said...

Yikes, that's a rough way to start the new year. I hope February has been and will continue to be much kinder.