2/3/14

Goddess of the Week: Rumina

Rois has applied for a job as a breast-feeding consultant and she needs a goddess who will help her seal the deal. She needs Rumina, the Roman goddess of breastfeeding.

All we know about Rumina is that she helped breastfeeding mothers and that people left offerings of milk in her temple. Her temple was near the river where the twins who founded Rome, Romulus and Remus, washed ashore. They baby boys were later found by a wolf who nursed and raised them in the shelter of Rumina's temple. Given this history, maybe it won't surprise you to learn that wolves are a big deal in Rome.

Back in the day, I spent a semester in Italy. When toasting, people used to say, "Nella bocca del lupo." It literally means, "In the mouth of the wolf," which more figuratively means something like, "May you get want you desire, just like the wolf gets his prey." Isn't that the best toast ever! It's so shockingly graphic and aggressive! But it does speak to a larger truth: The things we want the most often take the most work, and like the wolf, we must be patient, alert, and persistent.

So, Rois, I'm giving you both the goddess AND the wolf. May they both bring you the success you deserve.

Channel this goddess: When breastfeeding, when learning to breastfeed, when teaching new mamas to breastfeed, when nurturing artistic pursuits. 

Need a goddess? I got goddesses! Post a comment saying what you need or want a goddess for and then check back in a week or two and see what you got. It's fun! It's free! No lactation skill required!

11 comments:

Olga said...

I did not realize there was a goddess of breastfeeding, but it makes such perfect sense.

Daisy said...

Hope it all goes well, Rois!

Cathy Perlmutter said...

Wolves! Breastfeeding! Who knew they were related! Great lore!

Petrea Burchard said...

It doesn't surprise me there's a goddess of breastfeeding. Ever since you told us about Cloaca, the goddess of drainage, I'll believe there's a goddess of any- and everything.

I'm nursing artistic pursuits so I'm glad to know about Rumina. (Ruminating!)

Ann Erdman said...

It looks like Rumina's right breast is leaking! She may need some advice from Rois.

Ms M said...

Very interesting about Rumina. And best wishes to you, Rois!

Jean Spitzer said...

Good luck, Rois.

Rois said...

Thanks everyone for the good wishes!

Interesting thing is,I was once told my power animals are a mother wolf and her two pups.Hmmm hoping this is a very good omen.

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

Aw, this is awesome, Margaret. I'm going to share this with my sister-in-law who is about to deliver a new niece for me later this month! ♥

altadenahiker said...

I first heard this story when I was in Italy. Guess it shows how well I listened in history classes. By the way, put Magnolia on the Netflix list. Try The Savages, I really think you'd like it.

Susan Campisi said...

That IS the best toast. I love the goddess-wolf link. Best of luck, Rois.