4/2/14

Manias--tomato and otherwise

I went to a literary festival in downtown LA Saturday. It was full of hipsters and their kids--which I am calling kipsters, and which I am advising you to do as well. You can identify kipsters by their tell-tale pork-pie hat wearing fathers, who may also possess oversized sideburns, and by their very large and aggressive looking strollers (all silver and black off-road vehicle-looking wheels).

My friend Desiree Zamorano read from her book Human Cargo at the festival. I made a video but I can't upload it, so you'll have to take my word for it.
Here she is holding her novel The Amado Women, which comes out in May. I'm very excited for her! And for you! Because, of course, her book is wonderful and you will want to read it. 

You've heard of food trucks? There was a book truck! I want one of my very own.



Then on Sunday I went to something called TomatoMania. 



It was literally a mania of heirloom tomato plants. My husband overheard a woman looking at one variety of plant. She said to her friend, "It's the last one." Then, realizing the significance of what she was saying, she and the friend stepped in closer, creating a barrier against any lusty man or woman ready to pull the little seedling out of her hands. Ah! The rough and tumble world of tomato lovers.



12 comments:

Karen said...

That library truck was dangerous. I wanted to purchase at least half the merchandise.

But the big question is - did you buy any tomatitos?

Margaret said...

I pushed that lady right out of the way! If something is advertised as a mania I believe there should be danger involved. I went home with 8 seedlings and one only lady's wig.

Ms M said...

Sounds like a truly "manic" time....
One sometimes must be aggressive to nab the best things.

Petrea Burchard said...

Book Truck! If I were a Sesame Street character, I'd be the Booky Monster.

I'm very excited about Desiree's book.

Daisy said...

Looks like fun. At first I thought the children on the playground were ice skating...then I remembered it was L.A.! Land of tomatoes, sunshine, and good books!

Bec said...

My kids would think they'd died and gone to heaven if they saw that book truck! Kipsters . . . you nailed it and I'm using that from now on!

Rois said...

Wait!!!!!!!!!!

A book truck? That's even better than when the library had their book mobile!

I need one in my city.Yes, I know I live in Portland and we have Powell's but a book truck is so Portland.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

To be or not to be (a hipster)

I think it's about hair

facial (good)
pubic (bad)

Olga Hebert said...

My thought exactly--anything with "mania" attached involves a certain amount of risk. I hope those tomatoes tasted really good and really fresh.

pasadenapio said...

Ooh, let's take turns driving that truck!

Desiree said...

Yikes! Sorry to be late to the party--thanks so much for including me in this post and for being there!!!
#moralsupport

altadenahiker said...

Love Des, and tomatoes.