7/15/14

Living the Dream

This photo, my friends, is called "Living the Dream," as in you are living the dream when you are able to eat all the homegrown tomatoes you can stuff in your face.

There is really only one way to eat your homegrown tomatoes: Slice them fat. Sprinkle them with a wee bit of salt and pepper. Stop. That's it. You could do more, but why go to all that trouble when they are already perfect.

If you have so many tomatoes that you actually cannot stuff them all in your face you have two choices.

1. Share them with someone who will appreciate them. DO NOT share them with some slob who would be just as happy to eat a grocery store tomato. That sad person does not deserve the heaven that you proffer. Find a true zealot.

2. If it is cook them or toss them, you may cook them. Here is what you do:

Stack in this order: a fat slice of tomato, a tiny bit of olive oil, a slice of fresh mozzarella, chopped basil, salt and pepper. Keep adding to your stack (or stacks!) until you have a lovely tower of deliciousness. Now, bake in a 375 degree oven until the cheese gets a bit gooey. Remove from oven and put on your plate. Now, drizzle your stack with 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon olive oil. A jaunty sprig of basil on top will only make it prettier. Enjoy!

(Credit where credit is due: This is modified from a recipe I cut out of the LA Times when they still had a weekly food section. Ah! How I miss it even now.)

Hope you are living your dream. And by the way, what is that dream these days?


8 comments:

Desiree said...

Stop! Cease and desist! This is too delectable!!

Olga Hebert said...

I just picked my first tomato today...I am looking forward to coming harvest.

Daisy said...

MMmmmmmm! Lucky person who gets the "extras"! I miss my veggie garden, but next year ... Meanwhile I have planted a pot of basil ... if only I had a nice tomato fresh off the vine to go with it! ;-)

Petrea Burchard said...

I've had success with tomatoes and potatoes this year. It's my first time. The potatoes are better than store-bought by degrees. The tomatoes are so superior that they're not even comparable.

altadenahiker said...

I always find bragging to be the height of bad taste.

Ms M said...

Lucky you! I love fresh tomatoes, but have had terrible luck trying to grow them. Guess I need a Tomato Goddess to help me next year.

Ann Erdman said...

My mouth is watering uncontrollably. Saliva is running down my chin. Stop.

Cafe Pasadena said...

Sometimes I prefer to eat the dream.