9/24/14

The Bullshit Manifesto

I hereby decree the following:

Basically, everything is bullshit.

ISIS and ISIL are bullshit.
Bombing people is bullshit.
Classifying people is bullshit.
Status symbols are bullshit.
Fame is bullshit.
Being passive aggressive is bullshit.
Being a right in your face asshole is bullshit.
Small talk is bullshit.
Gatekeeping is bullshit.
Living through your kids is bullshit.
The Ivy Leagues are bullshit.
Professional sports is bullshit.
Circling the wagons is bullshit.
Social media is bullshit (ironic, I know).
Selling things is bullshit.
Selling yourself is even more bullshit.
Chasing after material possessions is bullshit.
Having your face in a screen all day is bullshit.
Denying inequality is bullshit.
Denying patriarchy is bullshit.
Being hurtful is bullshit.
Practically every institution is, on some level, bullshit.
Keeping a stiff upper lip is bullshit.
Anything that keeps your from being authentic is bullshit.

Only one thing is not bullshit: Love.

Alone among countries, Bhutan tracks its Gross Happiness Product. It does this to see if its citizens are becoming more or less happy. Likewise, I believe we should each keep track of our Gross Love Product. When you make a decision, you should ask yourself: will this increase the world's Gross Love Product? If the answer is yes, go for it. If the answer is no, then it's bullshit. If you can not decide how your choices affect the GLP, you should unpack the concept of love a little. Are you making a compassionate choice? Are you making a respectful and kind choice? There you go. That should solve your problem.

Obviously, you cannot remove yourself from the bullshit world. Like I said, basically everything is bullshit so that would be impossible. It's okay to live in the bullshit world, you just have to know that you are surrounded by bullshit and artifice and you must try not to be sucked in. Remember: the remedy for bullshit is love.

18 comments:

Olga Hebert said...

Thank you for pointing this out-and that's no bullshit.

Cafe Pasadena said...

The word "Love" is tossed around so casually in our lifetime, has it lost significance? More likely it's lost meaning.

Bellis said...

I call it steer manure. Soon my neighbors will be spreading it all over the yards. I'll try to love it. One small point: it's Bhutan not Nepal. I'd really like to go there. They protect their environment too, and probably don't keep bulls.

Margaret said...

Pup: That's bullshit. Love is love, and I mean it in a love your neighbor sort of way. It is what it is.

Bellis: You're right! Thanks. I've corrected it.

Heather said...

One of my young relatives has found a wonderful substitute for swearing (which she is not allowed to do at school, even though she dearly wants to). The word is an antique term for -- well -- poop, and was used in one of her favorite books as the specific term for dragon droppings. The word is "fewmet", and she uses it to describe the kinds of things you are describing here. I so love that she has found a way to express herself!

Cathy Perlmutter said...

That's a perfect Rosh Hashanah message. Thank you.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

you'r scaring me ;)

Daisy said...

As the optimist said: "With all that horsemanure, there's got to be a pony in there somehwere"!

Ms M said...

Yes, there's lots of manure out there. Sometimes it's good to call it out.

Petrea Burchard said...

You are very eloquent when you speak your mind.

Two favorite quotes that I'm trying to learn to live by, because I often don't speak my mind:
"I'd rather be respected than liked." (Gayle Ann Hurd)
and
"Better to be an asshole than a chicken-shit."
(Sheldon Patinkin)

I know this isn't exactly what you mean, but in a way it is what you're doing. As a woman, calling "bullshit" is tantamount to taboo. You do it marvelously and mercilessly.

Rois said...

Great quotes Petra,I am going to have to remember those.

The Dalai Lama speaks about the power of a smiling at a person even when facing adversity, it changes the whole game.

Rois said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rois said...

And autocorrect is Bullshit!

The damn thing won't let me spell the lady's name above my comment correctly.
Madame, please excuse this, as a person with a not very straight forwardly spelled name I am finding this autocorrect issue to be just plain rude.

Petrea Burchard said...

Rois, you made me laugh! Many people don't even notice and I'm sure I do the same. But it's okay, I answer to it. We often read over things and make a quick assumption. Thank you.

Ann Erdman said...

I'm calling B.S. on "Selling things is bullshit." Hey, I bought a book from you!

Marian Sunabe said...

Margaret, you are so wise. Thank you for this.

Amalia Dillin said...

I love this. And I love the idea of the Gross Love Product. Thank you.

Kelly said...

excellent writing! and so true! xo