2/2/15

50 for 50

Well, my friends, I am getting old. This month I am turning 50, and to celebrate 50 years of health, love, learning, creativity, friendship, grace and so much more, I am doing 50 good deeds. Here is how it will work.

I have from February 1 through March 1 to do my good deeds. My goal is to do about two good deeds a day. I have set myself a budget and I have a few bigger good deeds planned, but my determination is for most of my good deeds to be impromptu and free or very low cost. I will keep you posted weekly.

My first good deed was yesterday, and it was simply that I picked up trash during my morning walk.

I did two more good deeds today. Again, both good deeds were during my walk. The first one was that I saw a razor blade on the ground and I picked it up and put it the trash so that it could not hurt any people or animals who happen upon it. My second good deed was that I dropped a five dollar bill in the park I pass during my walk. I dropped it in the play area, and--more than the money--I just wanted someone to feel the absolute delight of FINDING money.

I'll keep you posted, and even offer you some opportunities to help me if you want.

Peace out!

Margaret

PS: As always, Scout is my companion in all good things, although, frankly, in this picture we were getting ready for the Pasadena Humane Society's Wiggle Waggle Walk (it was in the fall) and she Wiggle Waggle Wouldn't. We had to leave early.

15 comments:

Olga Hebert said...

Scout is looking rather recalcitrant in that picture. Good idea for celebrating a big "O" birthday.

Ann Erdman said...

You have inspired me, Margaret. I am hereby committing to doing one good deed a day throughout February. That's only 28 to your 50, but we'll see how it goes. I may blog about it at the end. Happy 50, by the way!

Margaret said...

Ann Erdman: That is fantastic. We will celebrate together in March. Anyone else want to join us?

Watson said...

Happy Birthday Margaret! And many more!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

A fantastic idea and a great way to celebrate 50 fabulous years! It looks great on you, by the way. LOVE the idea of dropping money for someone to find. I'm totally going to do that.

Happy birthday! 50 is the new 30, my dear.

Petrea Burchard said...

I'd join you but I'm older than you.

Kidding.

I will do it. Or something like it. If we all did one good deed each day, oh, what a world, what a world!

Gloria said...

Happy birthday MONTH, Margaret, and you may wish to relish the fact that you'll always be four years behind me in years! :-D

I'm in like Flynn on the deeds mission and am looking for things I might do today. (I'll continue to look for your inspiration during the month.)

Yesterday, I located the campus parking lot number on the campus map for a new member of our IT staff who's going to be helping me move out of my current office this week. I know, that sounds like nothing; but our map is like navigating Saturn for the first time, whatever that might be like. He said, "that was helpful," so I hope when he's actually trying to park today that it actually is helpful.
Scout is the best, I can tell.
Have a lovely day! - Foundpoem1

Gloria said...

PS - Perhaps another good deed might be for me to leave shorter comments in future! - Foundpoem1

Pasadena Adjacent said...

Margaret -- you are generous and kind hearted through out the year. Congratulations on hitting the 50th benchmark. It's kind of amazing isn't it? Like you can't believe you made it. But you did! so did I (5 years ago). Maybe I'll take on the challenge when I turn 60.

Petrea Burchard said...

I gave directions to an out-of-towner today. I have to look harder for opportunities.

Ms M said...

I am enjoying and am inspired by your "50 for 50"! Excellent way to celebrate the big 5-0.

And Scout is the perfect companion for this...

Country Girl said...

What a great idea! 50 good deedes! I think I will try and remember that on my next birthday or maybe I should just catch up as my birthday just passed! I also love the idea of dropping a bill in the play ground! The only other fun thing would be to see someone actually find it! - Thanks for the inspirations! Happy birthday!

Bec said...

Birthday month! So exciting. I love this idea . . . I saw a fun "list of good deeds" in Pinterest awhile ago and one was sticking dollar bills in the toy section of a 99cent store - I bet the kid who found the money will tell that story his/her whole life!

Jean Spitzer said...

This is great. I have missed most of the month, but I am in for the rest of it. Aiming for one a day.

Shell Sherree said...

Happy birthday, Margaret - for then !! You're nearly a month older already yet I swear you're looking younger.