12/11/09

Wise Women Friday: Edna Ferber


Words of wisdom from American writer Edna Ferber:

Christmas isn't a season; it's a feeling.

Don't get me wrong. I like Christmas. I like Christmas carols, Christmas trees, Christmas books and movies and cards and crafts and cookies and hot chocolate, and Santa Claus, and ho ho ho, and mistletoe and presents for pretty girls.

But, right now, Christmas has me feeling like a fox trying to escape from pursuing hounds. Believe me, those Christmas hounds are so close on my heels that I can smell their candy cane breath. I'm barely over Thanksgiving. My house is still stuffed with Halloween candy. And now it's Christmas!

I missed two parties today. Two! The first one I plum forgot. I tried to make it to the second party but I ran out of time. I am not so popular that I can afford to go missing parties. I am invited to a limited amount of parties each year. My fragile ego needs them all.

You know what I did instead? I took my dog to get her teeth cleaned. That's right. Her TEETH CLEANED. Like everything else, I put the deed off until after the semester, and now the semester is over and I am drowning in gnat-like errands and biting little to dos. There are teeth marks, and they are not pretty.

Well. Fine. To the organized go the mini quiches and sparkling conversations. To the distracted go the Milkbones.

Ho, Ho, Ho.

18 comments:

Lynne said...

I love that you quoted Lucy! I bet Charlie Brown never missed any parties because he was taking Snoopy to get his teeth cleaned. But then, I don't think he usually got a lot of party invites. There was that Halloween one, but that was because his head was the jack-o-lantern model.

Anonymous said...

Phoebe got her nails done for Christmas. She found it a most traumatic gift.

(I believe you owe me a Christmas card.)

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Ah yes. You and I are kindred spirits, Margaret. The hounds are on my tail too...I'll out run 'em though, like I do every year!

Petrea Burchard said...

Missed you at the first one. I wasn't invited to the second one. But that's okay, I had errands.

Joanne said...

If you'd like, I'll play the part of Lucy to help you through this busy season:

The Doctor Is In - 5 Cents :)

Rois said...

Have a cocktail and things will all work out just fine.I did this evening well late afternoon and you know baking was so much more fun.

Unknown said...

I understand "biting little to-dos" as only someone who worked her way through 75 five-minute tasks can.

Faith said...

I'm not even thinking about Christmas! I am thinking about Hawaii. The perfect solution to holiday stress.:)

Thanks for your blog and all the wonderful goddess inspiration.

Curly said...

Christmas... I hope it will snow! ;-)

Petrea Burchard said...

Paula, no one can work their way through 75 five-minute tasks like you can.

Desiree said...

I didn't feel snubbed at all. Really. Much.

Shell Sherree said...

I think your self-sacrifice is wonderful, Margaret ~ good dental hygiene waits for no puppy.

Margaret said...

AH: No card for you. Not unless you send me one first.

Rois: Should have had that cocktail. You were the wise one.

Faith: Hawaii! Now that sounds like a great Christmas. Thanks for saying hello.

Jet: Thanks for the visit.

Cafe Pasadena said...

Ok, MF, I read this latest wise writing of yours.
And, uh, now don't get me wrong, but I was proofreading this - not that I do it for my site- and I need to make a correction. Here is what it s/b:

Believe me, those Christmas hounds are so close on my heels that it must be they can smell my candy cane, pastry breath! Who am I fooling? Certainly not sharp nosed dogs!

Ok, you have an A+

Anonymous said...

After reading your comments on the hikers site I have learned the ugly truth behind card giving. I now have to come clean and declare myself a member of the D list. Despite my efforts at obeying the rules of reciprocity, popularity will always evade me.

I need to call my dentist.

Italo said...

It's true. It's a feeling. You know one of my nicknames (unfortunately I have o lot of nicknames in life) is Christmas boy.

Bec said...

It's always hard for me to get that feeling during finals week, but now that we're done with school (and out of town for a few days to just relax), it's coming to me!

Maria said...

Yeah, there's always a festival here in India. One festival season over, the next one begins. It can wear you out at times...