11/7/11

Goddess of the Week: Artemis

Diana (given name)Image via WikipediaAndrea needs a job-hunting goddess.  She needs Artemis, the Greek goddess of the hunt.

Artemis was a single gal who spent her days hunting in the woods.  She was an unstoppable archer, which is pretty impressive when you consider that she brought 50 hounds and 50 nymphs with her wherever she went.  You'd think that would create enough ruckus to scare away just about anything, but maybe deer were stupid back then.

The point is, Artemis knew how to catch her prey, and that's exactly what you need to do, Andrea, catch your prey: the elusive job.  And in this case, 50 hounds and 50 nymphs will really serve you well.  The 50 hounds will help you sniff out the right job (plus, then you can cuddle with them when you watch TV, and that will help you feel good.  Especially if they are puppies!  PUPPIES!!!)  The nymphs are your network.  You know that the best way to get a job is through networking, right?  Craig's List.  Monster.com.  Those are for the birds.  You need to connect with all the people you know, and you need to connect with all the people they know.  Join things: alumni associations, church groups, civic organizations, and show people in those groups that you are awesome by volunteering to do things and then actually doing them.  Of course, ideally, you're going to do all of those things before you even need to start  looking for a job so that your nymph network is in your corner from day one.  But most nymphs are very forgiving.  They're going to be ready to help you even if you haven't manned a single bake sale.  Why?  Because they're your nymphs!  They love you!  They want you to succeed!  So let them help you.

In the meantime, remember that, while it may feel like it, this isn't all about you.  Lots of good, smart people are looking for work.  These are hard times.   Dare I say it: you might, perhaps, be the 99%.  Maybe you need to occupy something.
Enhanced by Zemanta

14 comments:

claire bangasser said...

I like very much the way you present Artemis. Fifty puppies: wow... And occupying the job I want Hm...

Good luck, Andrea!
Bravo, Margaret :-)

Tony Van Helsing said...

I've never exactly been sure what a nymph is, perhaps some sort of fairy.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Thanks for this timely post (I think). I find myself in need of employment as well, so Andrea and I are in this boat together. I hope we aren't competing though...

Joanne said...

Sending best wishes Andrea and Deb's way. I'm hoping they both find something just right for them, and soon too!

Anonymous said...

I like it all except the puppies. You can't look for work and housebreak 50 puppies at the same time.

Petrea Burchard said...

Occupy the job you want! That is a great concept. And I don't think you mean go to the coffee shop and sit there sipping until someone pays me. Maybe, though, you're suggesting I put in some volunteer hours in my chosen field and that's not a bad idea.

Karin's right about the puppies, unless you're doing your job search totally online.

Anonymous said...

In this economy I'm afraid she may need not only a Goddess, but also a God, to find the job she desires.

But I here our govt is creating plenty of jobs in one field: volunteerism / non-paying.

Shell Sherree said...

You're so darned smart, Margaret. Are you sure you aren't hiding 50 hounds and 50 nymphs under your bushel? All the best to Andrea & Debs and all those seeking work. Perhaps there are some good puppy-sitting opportunities out there.

Curly said...

Good Luck Andrea!!! :-)

Olga said...

I am setting up an altar for the sake of my children.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

A deer nearly jumped in front of my car as I was coming off the Figuroa off-ramp in Eaglerock. They're still kind of dumb

good luck with the job search Andrea

Lindsay N. Currie said...

I think we could all use artemis now and again, right??

Susan Campisi said...

It's so easy to get discouraged when looking for a job. Andrea, I hope Artemis will help you to stay strong and positive. Margaret's advice is spot-on. Good luck!

Patrizzi Intergarlictica said...

Occupuptent with arrows.