4/18/12

Goddess of the Week: Devi

Hindu Goddess Maa Kudargarhi Devi
Hindu Goddess Maa Kudargarhi Devi (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Lindsey needs a goddess for juggling projects.  She needs the Hindu goddess Devi.


Devi is kind of like Plastic man. She can look however she wants. By doing so, she can be whatever kind of goddess you need. She can have ten arms and be the goddess Durga if you need a warrior. She can have blood-red eyes and be Kali if you need some destruction and/or rebirth. She can put on a party dress and look all June Cleaver if you need Parvati, the good mom. I could go on and on. She can become your water goddess, your wealth goddess, your boons goddess, your compassion goddess. You could channel any of these manifestations of Devi, or you could just go straight to Devi and channel her. It just depends upon your need.

Let's say, for example, you need cash. The manifestation of Devi you need would be Lakshmi. Shibang. Channel her. But let's say you're a fricking mess. Not only do you need cash, but your toilet is overflowing, you're falling behind on your work, your kids have gone all Godzilla on you, and your dog just threw up. In that case, you can straight-up channel Devi. (Then, for godsake, get yourself some chocolate because you need some cocoa-love.)

Devi reminds us that we, too, are more than the sum of our parts. We may be daughters, partners, mothers, workers -- we may be many things. But, always, we are fricking Helen Reddy Women! Hear us roar! And don't be messing with our blood-red, bent-on-destruction eyes. Out of them, whole worlds are born.

Channel this goddess: when a piece-meal goddess just won't do, when you need the whole package to save your flipping mind. Also, when multi-tasking.

Need a goddess: I got goddesses! Post a request and I'll see what I can do.

Enhanced by Zemanta

17 comments:

TheChieftess said...

Awsome goddess!!! Definitely one to call on when my life goes a bit crazy...

Desiree said...

Aha! NOW I know how you get so much done--
plus, your last two lines, in particular, are killer--

Watson said...

I got distracted by the "Helen Reddy" link and ended up listening to the old favourites! Good thing Devi is here to get me together again!

claire bangasser said...

I like Devi. From my years in India, I believe she is not linked to a God. She is a 'single' Goddess. Of course, under other names, like Lakshmi, she is with Vishnu; as Kali she is linked to Shiva. But Durga just ride her tiger... Big time cool :-)
As to Helen Reddy, I'm so glad to find her here. Her song I'm Woman is the best thing when I feel down :-)

Jaime...My Love said...

Thank you for this, I need a goddess for motivation to get all my projects done and I could use some cash too!

Unknown said...

Oooh this is a good one for all situations! That Plastic Man video is awesome and hilarious. I fully expected to click on it to find this song from the Kinks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f95UCJs2rUA

I wonder if Plastic Man was named after this song?

Jean Spitzer said...

I'm about to do some sets of pushups. I could use the extra arms.

Margaret said...

Jamie: You are welcome.

Carrie: You are too young to know this, but there was plastic man TV show when I was little. Very strange, and yet animated so I watched it anyway.

Margaret said...

PS: Love the song.

Petrea Burchard said...

That video is...kind of bizarre! Yes, as you said, strange, yet animated.

I am once again overloaded, so Devi comes in handy. Thanks, Margaret.

Curly said...

I borrow this Goddess too if I can... ;-)

Pasadena Adjacent said...

I'm missing out ob the link to the plastic man cartoon. Vo its it?

Petrea Burchard said...

First sentence, second paragraph, PA. Kind of hard to see, depending on your monitor. The words "Plastic Man." I think you'll find it's worth it.

Anonymous said...

Why, Plastic Man is almost as good as Gigantor.

TheChieftess said...

Now how could I have lived my whole life up til now and never have seen Plastic Man???

Amalia Dillin said...

Maybe I should be channeling Devi! She sounds like the cat's meow and then some. I'm actually doing research on ancient India post Alexander right now, so this is a perfect reminder to get back to work :P

Susan Campisi said...

I have to agree with Desiree: those last two lines are killer. Damn, Margaret, you're good.