2012! My old friend! You had your pluses; you had your minuses, but I'm a glass-half-full kind of gal so let's focus on the good:
1. Best new favorite recipe: Curried cauliflower and peas. I'm calling it now: Cauliflower will be the IT vegetable of 2013. See it here: http://margaretfinnegan.blogspot.com/2012/06/for-durga.html
2. Best movie starring one of my secret boyfriends: Salmon Fishing on the Yemen. Even when socially awkward, Ewan McGregor is dreamy.
3. Best TV show: Sherlock. Benedict Cumberbatch: I know you bulked up for the new Star Trek movie, but I liked you just the way you were.
4. Best iPhone App: Star Wars Angry Birds. It's Star Wars! Those piggies have never been more vexing!
5. Best book: Mine of course! It's still on special so buy it now! But if you already have it or just refuse to buy it on on principle, I recommend The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. Finally, Achilles actions in The Iliad make sense, and the characters and writing are so painfully good that I may never write again.
6. Best secret indulgence: Soft serve ice cream. Oh, why do you call me, you tower of white, creamy delight?
7. Best decadent luxury that I never knew I wanted but now love: Seat warmer in my husband's new car.
8. Best new blog: Stripedcatstudio.com. Lifestyle, design, and you can make your dog famous!
10. Best new mashup of my favorite song. This. Listen to the words. Because there is no spring without The Waters of March.