2012! My old friend! You had your pluses; you had your minuses, but I'm a glass-half-full kind of gal so let's focus on the good:
1. Best new favorite recipe: Curried cauliflower and peas. I'm calling it now: Cauliflower will be the IT vegetable of 2013. See it here: http://margaretfinnegan.blogspot.com/2012/06/for-durga.html
2. Best movie starring one of my secret boyfriends: Salmon Fishing on the Yemen. Even when socially awkward, Ewan McGregor is dreamy.
3. Best TV show: Sherlock. Benedict Cumberbatch: I know you bulked up for the new Star Trek movie, but I liked you just the way you were.
4. Best iPhone App: Star Wars Angry Birds. It's Star Wars! Those piggies have never been more vexing!
5. Best book: Mine of course! It's still on special so buy it now! But if you already have it or just refuse to buy it on on principle, I recommend The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. Finally, Achilles actions in The Iliad make sense, and the characters and writing are so painfully good that I may never write again.
6. Best secret indulgence: Soft serve ice cream. Oh, why do you call me, you tower of white, creamy delight?
7. Best decadent luxury that I never knew I wanted but now love: Seat warmer in my husband's new car.
8. Best new blog: Stripedcatstudio.com. Lifestyle, design, and you can make your dog famous!
10. Best new mashup of my favorite song. This. Listen to the words. Because there is no spring without The Waters of March.
Zen Monday #243
2 hours ago