12/28/12

My very own fabulous best of 2012 list!

2012! My old friend! You had your pluses; you had your minuses, but I'm a glass-half-full kind of gal so let's focus on the good:

1. Best new favorite recipe: Curried cauliflower and peas. I'm calling it now: Cauliflower will be the IT vegetable of 2013. See it here: http://margaretfinnegan.blogspot.com/2012/06/for-durga.html

2.  Best movie starring one of my secret boyfriends: Salmon Fishing on the Yemen. Even when socially awkward, Ewan McGregor is dreamy.

3.  Best TV show: Sherlock. Benedict Cumberbatch: I know you bulked up for the new Star Trek movie, but I liked you just the way you were.

4. Best iPhone App: Star Wars Angry Birds. It's Star Wars! Those piggies have never been more vexing!

5.  Best book: Mine of course! It's still on special so buy it now! But if you already have it or just refuse to buy it on on principle, I recommend The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. Finally, Achilles actions in The Iliad make sense, and the characters and writing are so painfully good that I may never write again.

6.  Best secret indulgence: Soft serve ice cream. Oh, why do you call me, you tower of white, creamy delight?

7.  Best decadent luxury that I never knew I wanted but now love: Seat warmer in my husband's new car.

8.  Best new blog: Stripedcatstudio.com. Lifestyle, design, and you can make your dog famous!

9.  Best new (to me) household advice: Keep your compostables in Ziplock bags in the freezer! Brilliant!

10. Best new mashup of my favorite song. This.   Listen to the words. Because there is no spring without The Waters of March.

16 comments:

Lynne said...

Your husband's new car???? I thought you had that on your Christmas list! Did you get his hand-me-down?

Margaret said...

Alas, he totaled his in the fall...so he got the new one.

Watson said...

Happy 2013 Margaret! :-)

Shell Sherree said...

Thank you for the heads-up on cauliflower! And that seat warmer sounds a bit of all right. Have a wonderful New Year, dear Margaret!

Unknown said...

Cauliflower was the dominant veggie in the most delicious dish I ever had, at dinner on a cruise several years ago. You could be very right about it being 2013's "it" vegetable, Margaret! I know you're correct about The Goddess Lounge being the best book.....

Adele said...

I totally back you on the cauliflower thing. I recently discovered plain old steaming until it's mashable (sp?) and then adding a teeny bit of butter and pepper. Mashed cauliflowers. MM mm Good!

Oh, and I'd like to add one. #13. Best Word: "vexing" (see #4)

sbready said...

Cauliflower is my personal "it" vegetable... I want your recipe ! I love your list and must agree that The Goddess Lounge is the best 2012 book! And, isn't it interesting that it is our husbands have the seat warmers....what's up with that !

Star said...

Soft serve ice cream calories getting you down? Margaret, you're in So Cal...have you never tried the frozen yogurt of The Bigg Chill on the corner of Westwood Blvd. and...as I recall (it's been donkey's years since I lived there)...Overland. Super heavenly. Have a cup, and think of me missing it!

Alison said...

Great list Margaret...not convinced about the cauliflower though!
Alison xx

Petrea Burchard said...

You can have all the soft-serve you want, as long as you eat a lot of cauliflower.

I also love StripedCatStudio.com. Boz got to be a star there for a little while.

Anonymous said...

Looks like your cauliflower is a major source of controversy. Happy new year to you, your warring queens, husband, dog, and not necessarily in that order.

Ms M said...

Great list! I particularly like StripeCatStudio.com, and The Waters of March.

Happy New Year to you and your family, Margaret!

Jean said...

yes cauliflower! mash up wonderful; another version from '70s by brazilian elis regina. ewan... benjamin/sherlock... i too lost my heated subaru car seats in short sale to my son/daughter in law to insure my (1st)new grandson's safe ride. i've been away from your blog nearly a year buried in the job thing. i'm just so glad to be back! just ordered your book and can't wait to read. thanks for the oasis margaret - happy new year.

Katherine Kean said...

I agree, cauliflower is wonderful. I loved Salmon Fishing - the movie, not the activity - Ewan McGregor IS dreamy. Happy New Year!

Susan Campisi said...

You may scoff at this prediction, but I'm putting my money on Brussels sprouts as 2013 "it" vegetable. It's everywhere!

I can't wait to see that Ewan movie and read your book recommendations, including a second reading of your fabulous book. And I must send a photo to Stripedcatstudio.com! Happy New Year, Margaret!

Margaret said...

Jean: I hope you enjoy the book