10/5/09

Goddess of the Week: Ame-No-Uzume

Cave at Ama-no-Iwato Shrine where Amaterasu hidImage via Wikipedia

What do men want? Goddesses, of course.

Hmmm...but there are so many goddesses. Which to choose? I mean it's not like buying a tie. It's not a matter of color and stripes. A goddess is more personal. She's a bit of a muse after all. She's inspiration. She's luck. She's the most direct route to your goal, but she's also like a big truck filled with flammable gas. One wrong move and kaboom. So -- as always -- one must choose wisely.

Personally, I don't think any man can go wrong with Ame-No-Uzume, also known simply as Uzume. Uzume is the Shinto goddess of the dawn and laughter. If it weren't for her, we'd all be mooning about in the dark.

Here's the deal: You may recall that Susano-Wo (the storm god) was just a nightmare. Having totally tormented the goddess of food, he had to go piss off his sister Amaterasu, goddess of the sun. He got her so mad that she went and hid in a cave, leaving the whole world in darkness. All the gods and goddess begged her to return, but you know how mad sisters can get.

Uzume was all, "Fine, Ameratsu. Pout away. You're not going to haul me into immortal gloom."

To prove it, Uzume started dancing in front of Ameratsu's cave. Now, you know those friends who really feel the music and flail around out of control and break things and look pretty ridiculous? Ok. That's Uzume, except she was a lot worse. The other gods couldn't help themselves. They burst into laughter. Ameratsu got so curious about what was going on that she left her cave, restoring light to the world.

Uzume reminds us to seek joy and to laugh even when we're trapped in the dark.

Channel this goddess: When you want to laugh, when you want to have fun, and, especially, when life gives you obstacles that shackle your laughter.

Italo: You're a funny guy. Will this one do?

Need a goddess: Hey! Guess what! I find goddesses for people. Tell me your need. I'll see what I can do.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Italio doesn't want to hang out with her, I will.

I have a friend Andrea who will break into dance if you should so much as start tapping your fingers. I've always loved that about her and she never looks silly when she dances, although she has been known to give bystanders a black eye.

Before Andrea cut off her hair, she had a braid that went down to her waist. She'd wore it in a top knot. When she got to dancing, she'd twirl it like a helicopter blade. Men loved it despite the fact that they had to duck.

Cafe Pasadena said...

So many Goddesses, ahh, so little time. But again, which to choose??

A: Men want a Goddess inside as well as on the outside. That's all. Men are simple, with basic needs. Here to serve & eat.

Stacey said...

Good god.

Curly said...

You are just A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.L.Y. funny!!!!
So... I say always take a torch with you... just in case one is caught by the dark without notice... ;)

Rois said...

I like this lady she speaks to me right now.I quit my job that I had for all of two weeks,working under a name calling tyrant was not to my taste.I need to laugh really hard right now,tho to others I may end up sounding like a crazed woman.
Rois

Joanne said...

Oh yes, laughter is the best medicine, getting us out of the dark very effectively. Funny how things look so different through a good laugh.

Petrea Burchard said...

I like the metaphor that a goddess is "like a big truck filled with flammable gas." Makes me feel closer to the divine.

Anonymous said...

This time the picture is Japanese!!! Yay! lol This story is part of Japan's creation myth.

Jude said...

That was really quite lovely!

Desiree said...

So eclectic!
(ps--current post is chicken fat--for you, kiddo)

Laurie Allee said...

You are toooooo fabulous for words, Margaret.

I really like this goddess.

Shell Sherree said...

Uzume has a permanent place on my party invites list.

Margaret said...

PA: Love that story. Thanks for telling it.

Pup: Internal and external beauty. It's not too much to ask, is it?

Daisy: I'm packing my flashlight!

Rois: Oh, no! I'm sorry you had to quit. But now I'll need to find you a different goddess. You're still next in the queue.

Joanne: I agree completely. I also think we really benefit from not taking ourselves too seriously.

Petrea: Well, you are as close to divinity as a mortal can get, my friend.

Kanmuri: Glad this picture worked! The Shinto myths are fabulous. If you have any details, do tell.

Jude, Inky, Laurie, and Dez: Thank you.

Shell: She's on my party list too.

Margaret said...

PS: Forgive me for neglecting your blogs. It's been a crazy week. As soon as I can breathe, I'll be by to visit. Take care.

Anonymous said...

that's ok Margaret. I'll just dance in front of your cave and the other bloggers will laugh, and well, you know the rest of the story.

Bec said...

Liked this one, especially this week where there's not much to laugh about.

Shell Sherree said...

Hahaha, Hiker!!

{Margaret, my wv is edotoref ~ sounds odd enough to be a goddess name?}

Unseen India Tours said...

What a post !! Nice to read it !! Great post..Unseen Rajasthan

Jean Spitzer said...

Lovely selection. It's been a tough week and a dancing fool of a goddess--and the smile your story brought--are very welcome. You take care, too.

Margaret said...

AH: You can dance in front of my cave anytime.

Shell: I'm going to invent a goddess by that name and give it to you. Stay tuned...

UR: Thanks.

Bec and Jean: It sound like we've been having the same week. My daughter and I watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail today. I wasn't a big MP fan when I was younger, but today it just made me laugh and laugh. Such silliness.

Virginia Hoge said...

I was doing my goddess cards the other day...

(ok, I admit it, I do goddess cards once in awhile. And tarot, no i-ching, and I have a few crystals lying aroung, I'm a Californian, what do you expect?)

and for the third time in a row, I got Ishtar,

the goddess who ventures into the underworld...

Margaret said...

Virginia: Ohh. Ishtar. That means you are very clever and you won't put up with bullshit. Sound right?

Maria said...

Uzume seems like a fun lady. Well, coming from the land of The Morrigan as I do, not to mention living in the land of Shakti/Kali I truly appreciate her. Dark brooding fury and tempestuous power is impressive, but things get too serious and dull if we dwell overmuch on that. Give me a good laugh any day! Lol!

Italo said...

UZUME protect me! In fact, I think she already protected me. So my goddess is shintoist!!!!!!THANK YOU MARGARET! :D

Virginia Hoge said...

Sounds right, Margaret! (to my detriment sometimes...)

also, given a recent experience, the "underworld" visits of Ishtar, somehow sounded appropriate.

Watson said...

Reminds me of a poem by Hafiz which I love! A great copy at:
http://www.panhala.net/Archive/Laughter.html

Thank you Margaret.

Margaret said...

Daisy: Finally go to that poem. It's really great. Thanks for sharing.