5/9/11

Goddess of the Week: Rosmerta

Statue of Rosmerta and Mercury from AutunImage via WikipediaThis week the goddess is for me. I am so grateful for all my blog readers, many of whom I think of as real friends. I'm grateful for your comments. I'm grateful for your time. I'm grateful for your questions, requests, visits and interest. So I need a goddess of gratitude, and I choose the Gaulish goddess Rosmerta.

Rosmerta is a goddess of abundance, but besides that she's a bit mysterious. All we really know is that she hung out in ancient France, she carried either a giant cornucopia or a purse, and that she sometimes wore the Roman god Mercury's little FTD cap (the one with wings). Some people take from that she was Mercury's ancient French eclair-of-love, but I like to think she stole that cap because it represented the height of haute couture. Either way, she's a goddess of plenty. She gives plenty, and I'm grateful for the plenty I've been given.

In honor of Rosmerta, I'm giving back to you. That's right...I'm having a CONTEST! Two lucky winners will win their very own goddess packs. Your goddess pack will include everything you need to make a winsome altar to your personal goddess (as chosen by me with your consultation), the goddess who will help you remember who you are, who you want to be, and why you need to keep your dreams alive.

One winner will be chosen from current followers. Just post a comment telling me you want to be included in the drawing and two weeks from today (May 23) I'll put all your names in a hat and have one of my lovely daughters draw a name. If she draws your name, you win!

One winner will be chosen from new followers. Just add my blog to your RSS feed! Then post a comment saying you're a new follower and want to be included in the new follower drawing. Two weeks from today (May 23), I'll put your names in a hat and have my other lovely daughter draw a name. If she draws your name, you win!

I'm so excited! Post your comment! Let's get started!

(P.S.: I'm still really loving the exclamation point! !!!)


Enhanced by Zemanta

26 comments:

Margaret said...

Got a Facebook comment that the comment button was broken! If you have a hard time commenting, email me at margaret@margaretfinnegan.com and let me know. I hate to make people have to work hard. Sorry! !!

Petrea Burchard said...

Oh my gawd, a Goddess Pack! It's like a jet pack only faster! Enter me in that drawing, please.

I'm grateful for you, Margaret.

Petrea Burchard said...

Hey! It's working!

Star said...

O.K., it's working, now. Must have been a temporary problem...whew! (Darn it, though, I coulda' been a contendah!)
Have fun with the contest; I'm grateful for your blog!

Unknown said...

Ooh! Ooh! I want in!

Rois said...

Please put in the hat of names.Thanks darrrlink.

Cafe Pasadena said...

Just wundering...how many goddesses are there?

Shell Sherree said...

Oh, oh, how exciting! Please enter me in the old hat {aka the Existing Followers' hat}. I'm grateful for you too, Margaret. And I want to be someone's French-eclair-of-love. That sounds very lovely.

Watson said...

Love you back Margaret! :-)

Who is the nude dude next to Rosmerta? Mercury? Can't find his hat? Please put my name in it if you have stolen it.

Anonymous said...

I'm not an official follower, because I don't follow anyone.But I'm a regular visitor and I think that's even better.

Susan Campisi said...

Oh, how I could use a Goddess Pack! Please throw my name into the hat. Thank you, Margaret. I'm grateful for your goddess generosity.

Olga said...

Put me in the already following hat. I am grateful for your blog even if I don't win a goddess pack.

Margaret said...

All who are entered who want to be entered! AH: You are not entered as you are revealing yourself to be a little contrary and antisocial. I will forgive you, however, because Albert is adorable.

Sort of sad though, no newbies! I really want to top 300!

Sharon said...

I am a newbie but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to subscribe! Shameful I know, but I have been reading you for a while and you are a delightful blessing.

thank you
Sharon

Margaret said...

Sharon! I am so excited to hear from you. Here's what you do: Do you see the group of followers on the right hand side of the blog. Right there this is this little button that has red and blue on it. All you have to do is click on that and do what it tells you. But no matter what, I'm putting you in the newbie list! Yeah!

Alleged Author said...

Cool idea for a contest! Returning a comment. :)

Pasadena Adjacent said...

do you think the purse is the successor to the cornucopia?

add me too please

btw: I'm on a Colin Firth roll. I'm awaiting Dorian Grey.

Sharon said...

Thanks Margaret. Goodness, how thick am I? Apparently I needed a goddess to point me in the right direction :).

Shanna said...

Not just an altar but a winsome! altar!!! - as if giving me Aine is not enough of a gift in itself!

Yes. Giving back. That is so basic to it all.

Count me in!

Curly said...

This is so LOVELY! The contest idea is so cute!!!! :-) I feel kind of guilty after receiving Petrea's splendid gift, but I really do hope to win! ;)))

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

What a great giveaway, Margaret! I want in. :o)

Desiree said...

Rosmerta! I've only known that name from the pub hostess in Harry Potter--
great one--
Gratitude--a wonderful thing

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Ooooh FUN!!! Enter me pretty please!!! I love this idea and am so glad I didn't miss it:)

claire bangasser said...

Margaret, I would LOVE a goddess pack! Thank you also for giving us today a goddess of gratitude. I have to think how to make an altar to this goddess :-))
Blessings.

Kristen said...

Rosmerta and her cornucopia makes me think of the lovley Scripps woman/Incipit Vita Nova. Sign me up too!

Mairie said...

I think I must have posted as Blogville had it's 'oops' period so here it is again. Have to say I have little love for the multiple ! All because of the English teacher of my youth who reckoned an exclamation mark was the most unnecessary of the punctuations - you just had to find the right word. Why these things haunt me so much I have no idea - must be a Goddess thing. I blame Mnemosyne.