Thanks, everyone, for your support and for your ideas for promoting my novel. Several people suggested that I try and appeal to the visual nature of our culture. So...I have an idea! I'm going to make a book trailer. As you may know, a book trailer is like a movie preview, but for books. Plus, it's usually a lot shorter and it is not always plot dependent. It can give more a sense of voice than actual story.
Here's the story of my book. The Goddess Lounge is about Penne Armour, an LA mother whose search for her missing dirtbag of a husband takes her on a wild odyssey where modern-day monsters sell thousand dollar shoes and butcher locally-grown, organic-fed boars, new-age priestesses battle evangelicals over inner goddesses and menstrual tents, and love not only follows you like a love-sick puppy, it is a whole slew of lovesick puppies. A comic, gender-twisting riff on Homer's Odyssesy, The Goddess Lounge asks the eternal question: Why be a hero when you can be a goddess?
So that's what my book trailer is going to ask: Why be a hero when you can be a goddess? I want to pack my book trailer full of photos of women of all ages, weights, backgrounds, etcetera and I want to show that being a modern goddess means owning both yourself and your happiness.
So...send me a picture of you or some woman that you think is fabulous being totally authentic, a picture that says my life belongs to me. Be in my book trailer! Let me celebrate you and the fact that you are a modern goddess.
There are just a few rules:
1. Send one picture of you (or someone you think is fabulous) looking like you own your own life, whatever that means to you.
2. Send the picture as a jpeg file to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Send it to me by May 30, 2012.
4. All women are beautiful. No ageism, weightism, photoshopism, whateverism allowed.
5. Keep it clean so I can show my kids.
6. The photo must belong to you. No one else can own the copyright. With your photo, you should send me a note granting me permission to use the photo for my book trailer. All the other rights will belong to you.
As pictures roll in, I will post them and I will introduce you to our gallery of modern goddesses.
During the week of June 1, I will post my top five picks for who best symbolizes what it means to be a modern goddess. YOU will get to choose who wins.
The winner will get a copy of my novel The Goddess Lounge and a $25 Barnes and Noble gift card. How fun is that!
Feeling shy about the whole picture thing? Well, you're going to have to get over that because I really want you--YOU--in my book trailer. You, my wonderful blog friends, sustained me through much of the writing of this novel, and now it's my chance to celebrate you. It is time for the world to see how DIVINE you really are!