6/25/12

For Durga

In honor of Durga-of-the-many-arms, I'm sharing my new favorite recipe, which is adapted from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.  Try and it and tell me what you think.


Curried Cauliflower and Peas

1/2 C vegetable oil
1/2 t ground cumin
1/4 t asafetida
1/4 C peeled and finely diced ginger
4 t ground coriander
1/2 t cayenne
1 t turmeric
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 large cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces, including the stems
1/2 salt
1 C frozen peas
2 t amchoor powder (green mango powder)
1 t garam masala

Start by combining your spices.  This will make things easier later on.
Combine the cumin and asafetida in a small bowl.
Combine the ginger, coriander, cayenne, and turmeric in another small bowl.
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Add the cumin and asafetida and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.  Add the ginger, coriander, cayenne and turmeric and cook for 30 seconds more.  Add the onion, lower the heat, and cook until limp.  Stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes.  Add the cauliflower and salt.  Mix.  Pour in 1/2 C water, cover the pot, and simmer until the vegetables are tender.  The original recipe says about 10 minutes, but it always takes me about 20 minutes.  Add the peas.  Cook through.  Add the amchoor power and garam masala.  Stir together.  Add more salt if needed.

Enjoy with as many arms as you've got!

8 comments:

Watson said...

I'm drooling from the delicious smells which I can almost taste from over here! Some of the ingredients I'll have to look up and find out what they are ... but ... my peas are starting to appear!

Anonymous said...

OK!

Jean Spitzer said...

Yes, thanks!

Ms M said...

Sounds interesting!

Najma Velshi said...

Thanks Margaret. This is very similar to my mother's recipe for Aloo Gobi where cubed, cooked potatoes are substituted for the peas. I also use whole cumin seeds instead of the ground-gives it a more delicate taste.

Cafe Pasadena said...

I gotta share this recipe with Durga! She loves food & restaurants.

claire bangasser said...

Yum-mee!!! Thank you!

Pasadena Adjacent said...

I've recently discovered that spices are half the price of VONs over at Sprouts. Maybe even cheaper yet at Food King (anyone know?)