10/3/12

Fire and Ice

Here is the last of the wonderful graphics my niece, writer and designer Kate Wong, designed for my novel, The Goddess Lounge. This is a quote I particularly like.

The full story is this. In the Norse creation myth, everything started when a drop of steam was created by the meeting of a volcano and a glacier. That drop of steam turned into humans, gods, giants, dwarves and everything else. But the volcano and the glacier: they never really go away. So often we find our own lives hanging in the balance: a volcano on one side, a glacier on the other. For a lot of people, it's too hard. Fire consumes them. Ice turns them into hardened shells. But not goddesses.  Goddesses are burnished by fire. They are illuminated by ice. Which is why, when given the choice, you should always choose to be a goddess.

Thanks, again, Kate. You know, you really should check out more of Kate's work. Here is a link to her website. http://stripedcatstudio.com/2012/08/12/katewongonline


8 comments:

Rois said...

I thought the Norse sagas said humans sprouted from the armpit of a frost giant.Frost giants came first then people.

Tony Van Helsing said...

I am pig ignorant. I thought Norse mythology was all dragons and big beardy blokes with hammers.

Desiree said...

Wow! I love that you're highlighting these terrific lines--

Unknown said...

Trying really hard to be a goddess today and not consumed or frozen as I toil on my website! Perfect timing and good things for me to think about. Thank you Margaret! And kudos to Kate as well, who is lending such an artistic and intuitive hand to the entire process I'm going through!!

Ms M said...

Good advice in your post (just as in "The Goddess Lounge").
Kate's work is excellent! Fun to see her website.

Petrea Burchard said...

I'm re-reading your book right now, Margaret, and marking my favorite quotes. There are a lot of markers in my copy right now.

I wonder if you and Kate could license these...post cards? posters? coasters? t-shirts?

Adele said...

I agree with Petrea. Such great quotes, and Kate's art is excellent!

Shell Sherree said...

You and Kate make a great team, Margaret!