12/18/12

Goddess of the Week: Sarasvati

Rois is going back to school and needs a goddess of learning. She needs the Hindu goddess Sarasvati. Sarasvati invented Sanskrit, and she is remembered by Hindu students whenever it is test time. But, Rois, I think you will like her because of her flexibility.

She started out as a sacred river, and, you know, a river can tell you everything you need to know. It is ever changing, even the water is ever changing, yet, to the naked eye, it may seem more or less the same. That is Sarasvati's most important lesson: change is constant though often undetectable. If you can embrace that lesson, everything else will be a breeze.

Good luck!


PS: The photo is not Sarasvati. I used to use this thing called Zemanta for photos, but one day it just disappeared from my bookmarks and I can't figure out how to redo it.  Thus, I am left to my own devices. I took this at the Getty Villa, which I love.

14 comments:

Ms M said...

I can use Sarasvati, too, and the advice the river gives us.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

Rivers are better then sieves, which many returning to school might be fearing. Good luck Rois. A hint as to what your going back to learn?

Shell Sherree said...

All the best to Rois ~ what an adventure! Sounds like Sarasvati will be a great companion.

Anonymous said...

I love it, too -- Who is she?

Katherine Kean said...

Beautiful stand in for Sarasvati. Thank you for the post and the river's lesson.

Jean Spitzer said...

I like that river lesson. What an adventure for Rois.

TheChieftess said...

Flexibility is important for students...except, maybe, in math!!!

Petrea Burchard said...

What an adventure, Rois! It sounds wonderful. Sarasvati should be a fine goddess. She invented a whole language, which is major.

Margaret said...

AH: I'm not so sure, but she is lovely.

Rois said...


Oh man I just saw this! Working retail the week before Christmas is a time and energy sucking vortex!

Thank you so much for the goddess.Your post reminded me of Siddhartha sitting by the river.And has reminded me to sit,look and listen instead of rushing towards my goal.
It's the money to get there that has me unfocused but once I hit the books I am locked in to learning.

Chieftess- I actually love math,a point that makes my kids crazy.

Watson said...

All the best Rois!

Susan Campisi said...

Rois, I love the wisdom you've already gleaned from Margaret's goddess gift: "sit, look and listen instead of rushing towards my goal." That's definitely a lesson I could use.

Star said...

That little sculpture is one of my favorites at the (original) Getty Museum in Malibu. She's one of a partial set of muses that they have, as I recall. Is she still there? I thought she had had to be sent back, as part of the acquisitions with, uhhhhhh, less than carefully researched provenance.

Margaret said...

Star: Thanks for the explanation. I think she is still there.